Monitoring and Management
The EGI Application Database (AppDB) includes a web GUI for management of Virtual Machines (VMs) on the federated infrastructure.
Main user features
- User identification with Check-in, with customised view of the VAs and resource providers based on the VO membership of the user.
- Management of VMs in topologies, containing one or more instances of a given VA.
- Attachment of additional block storage to the VM instances.
- Start/Stop VMs without destroying the VM (for all VMs of a topology or for individual instances within a topology)
- Single control of topologies across the whole federation.
Log into the VMOps dashboard using EGI Check-in.
Click on "Create a new VM Topology" to start the topology builder, this will guide you through a set of steps:
Select the Virtual Appliance you want to start, these are the same shown in the AppDB Cloud Marketplace, you can use the search field to find your VA;
select the VO to use when instantiating the VA;
select the provider where to instantiate the VA; and finally
select the template (VM instance type) of the instance that will determine the number of cores, memory and disk space used in your VM.
Now you will be presented with a summary page where you can further customise your VM by:
Adding more VMs to the topology
Adding block storage devices to the VMs
Define contextualisation parameters (e.g. add new users, execute some script)
Click on "Launch" and your deployment will be submitted to the infrastructure.
The topology you just created will appear on your "Topologies" with all the
details about it, clicking on a VM of a topology will give you details about its
status and IP. VMOps will create a default
cloudadm user for you and create
ssh-key pair for login (you can create as many users as needed with the
contextualisation options of the wizard described above).